Friday, August 8, 2014

(08/08/14) Last Day in Iceland

Today was our last day in Iceland. Tomorrow morning we fly out of Keflavik to JFK and home to the states. We spent the day tying up loose ends. We had a late breakfast, same place as yesterday. Then George got me an ice cream cone.

Then we went to the Vikin Maritime Museum where we learned about the fishing industry. We got to tour the "Odinn", a decommissioned multipurpose ship. In its former life it served as a search and rescue, ice breaking, ramming the British during the Cod Wars, etc. Now, it spends its days as a floating museum. We got to sit at the helm and issue orders, try to squeeze ourselves into the bunks and check out the engine room.





Then we went to the Saga Museum that told the history of the famous people and happenings in Icelandic culture. We were given headsets and little mp3 players and got to work our way through a wax museum. At the end we got to dress up like Vikings. I thought the museum was great except for one of the figures "breathed" and it made me creeped out. I kept looking over my shoulder at it, waiting for it to come and get me or something.



After the museums, we went geocaching and found two hides in the area. I got to pet another dog -- getting my "fur fix". I can't wait to be home with my animals tomorrow. We then got ice cream cones at Valdis (I know, two in one day, but hey, we are on vacation!). Mine was a triple dip of mango, creme brulee and coffee. George had Oreo, Reese's and banana nutella and it was out of this world ice cream! Then we went back to the main street and found a little Christmas shop and chose an ornament for our Christmas tree. We picked a sheep made of wool, appropriate, no? I also finally picked out a piece of sterling silver and lava jewelry. The earrings are from a small shop, Metal Design, that makes everything on site. It made me glad to know that I was supporting an independent artisan.




Dinner tonight was at Perlan, a restaurant located atop four geothermal hot water towers. And the restaurant rotates every two hours so that you get a 360 degree view of all of Reykjavik. The place is a five-star restaurant to boot. So we were in for a good time. We chose the four-course meal and I asked for vegetarian. George went with a traditional Icelandic dinner. We were not disappointed.


George's First Course: Salmon Roll with Dill Ice Cream

My Second Course: Leek Soup

George's Third Course: Codfish, the Catch of the Day

Our Fourth Course: Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Gelatin and Lime-Yogurt Ice Cream

Our flight leaves tomorrow morning around eleven, so we need to be at the airport at eight, which means we have to get up around 6:30, so it will be an early morning for us. This time tomorrow night, we will be in my parents' SUV on our way home to Frederick. It has been quite a ride. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Loved "traveling" with you Janice!

    ReplyDelete