Tuesday, August 5, 2014

(08/05/14) Whale Watching in Dalvik

Today was our scheduled whale watch out of Dalvik. We went with the company Arctic Sea Tours. The day was a nice one, a bit overcast though. The seas were fairly calm, only three to five foot swells.  I ate a light breakfast so my stomach would not heave. George was even eating on board the boat. The man has the constitution of a horse.

We got to wear these furry lined jumpsuits beccause it is so cold. We looked like giant teddy bears.



We were hoping to see humpback whales, minke whales, and two kinds of dolphins. We ended up seeing seven humpbacks. Once we even got very close because the group of three (dubbed "The Three Musketeers") surfaced practically right beside us. It was awesome that we even got to see their white fins because we were that close.






On the way back in to the harbor, we had hot cocoa and cinnamon cookies. Then we stopped to fish. Our group caught quite a few cod and one haddock. George caught his very own cod. 


When we got back to the dock, the guide broiled them up for us so we could all have a light lunch. I tried them, two big bites and I have determined I really don't like fish. If I don't like it when it is this fresh, I won't like it from the grocery store after it has sat for days.

 

We grabbed dinner in Akureyri and then got back on the road to drive to Blonduos. Tomorrow is my 34th birthday and we are going to try to go and find some seals!


1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday (August 6th) Janice!!! Love you lots. Hope you see some seals! ~Mom

    ReplyDelete