Sunday, August 3, 2014

(08/02/14) Road Trip Day 1

Today was a very long day. We drove about 12 hours in the car. We saw the same things mostly that we had seen on one of our bus tours so to make time go faster, we started picking up hitchhikers. These people are everywhere, like ants!

Our first set was a pair of girls from the Czech Republic. Their English was great. They wanted to go to this overlook they had heard of that was very pretty, so off we went, figuring we might like it too. We ended up at a Nature Preserve with a lighthouse and puffins! We could get so close to them it made us feel like the boat ride we paid for back in Reykjavik was a waste of money. I took a ton of photos.




 

We dropped the girls off in Vik and kept going and within five minutes had come across two men, a guy and his father, both from France. They didn't talk very much, but they loved me because I fed them. They hadn't eaten all day and chowed down on some bananas and chips that I had stashed in the car. When I brought out a bag of Skittles, I thought they were going to die of joy. After we dropped the men, we had the car to ourselves for about an hour and we came across three girls from France who stuffed themselves in the back of our VW Golf with all their big backpacks. They were all talkers and we dropped them off in Djupivogur where they planned to camp for the night.

We had the car to ourselves for about an hour and finally made it to Egilsstadir. We were glad to see our beds. Dinner was at a really nice restaurant. George tried the "langoustine", which are basically little itty bitty lobsters. I had the grilled asparagus.




It was a long day with a lot of breathtaking scenery. There were more than a few sheep in the road. We have been told that we are in reindeer country, so I am keeping my eyes peeled.



I did see a flock (maybe 40 members) of whooping swans. They were gorgeous. So far, we have made it about halfway around the island.



No comments:

Post a Comment