Tuesday, October 9, 2012

(10/09/12) Underroos

What is wrong with Victoria's Secret?!?! When I got married about three and half years ago, I went to pick up some things for our honeymoon trip.  I weighed about 180 and was the height I am now (5 foot 7) with roughly the same-sized dimensions. I found that (and was told that) they had nothing in my size, particularly that they do not carry any band sizes larger than 36 in the store and no cup sizes larger than D. I do not consider myself fat by any means; I am a solid gal with some jiggly spots and a penchant for food. I could stand to work out more often, but who of us couldn't?
 
I wanted to find a lacy-racy-something to torment my new husband, but everything for sale wasn't even going to cover a thigh. I was gently told that customers needing larger sizes could find them online and through the catalog. I remember feeling ugly and awful -- the week before my wedding. 

Of course, I hit up the website and found what I wanted, but how is this store staying in business? The average American woman wears a size 14, which does fit me, as I wear anything from a 10 to a 14, depending on the cut and designer. A size 6 is considered plus size. The average North American woman also weighs 177.9 pounds (thanks, Wikipedia). So if I fall right in the middle, what gives? If most of us are chunkier, why don't they carry products for our market in their stores?

You'd think I would have learned my lesson, but those "free underroos" cards keep coming in my mailbox, so in I go and trade them in. Take a look at the top picture -- the drawer for size S panties. Observe all the pretty colors and patterns. Then look at the picture underneath -- for size L panties. Note the overwhelming presence of beige.



Do big girls really only want black, beige, gray and white undies? Beige is not HOT. Nothing screams "1950 mommy drawers" louder than some wicked white panties! Yeah, there were some other colors in the drawer, but the number of color choices was significantly reduced. I asked the sales girl and she remarked that they sell a lot of underwear in the L size and that I should check back. [Going to the mall, for me, is akin to slow torture.] So why don't they have a bunch on hand for restock?

Thank you, Vicky See's for condemning my largely average butt to beige undies. But I'll keep checking back in the hopes that one day, a rhinestone-encrusted cheetah-print pair will be left just for me. Until then, I bet Wal-Mart has exactly what I'm looking for -- in bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment