Wednesday, July 30, 2014

(07/30/14) Viking Horseback Ride and Blue Lagoon

The Icelandic horse breed has remained virtually unchanged since the Vikings brought them to Iceland in the 9th century. Some of the horses that we saw today were pony-sized, but make no mistake, you will be corrected if you refer to them as a pony. Icelandic horses have very few diseases and Icelandic law forbids the import of other animals, as to protect its stock. If an Icelandic horse is bought by someone out of the country and exported, it can never be returned. They are sure-footed and able to cross rugged terrain with ease. We saw this ourselves today when our horses just went right across a rocky path, through a stream or up a hill. 

Supposedly they are docile and goodnatured animals, ideal for beginners and experienced riders alike. This never seems to work out for me. The workers lined us all up and started asking who had ridden before. I need to look at these people doe-eyed and say "I've never ridden a horse!" I volunteered that I have ridden a lot and George piped up that he had ridden some. And I asked if I could have the white horse that kind of looked like an Appaloosa. I was told no. I got led out to the paddock where I was introduced to my horse, "Blood Smear". I look back into the corral where George is mounting up and he is on my white horse! Great. So we all mount up, and there are about 40 of us in the group and they open the gate from the corral and my horse takes off trotting as fast as he can without running. He wanted to be first. I was told he was very spirited. And spirited he was. He ran my leg straight into the corral pole and tried to scrape me off. And then keeps trotting up the path, shaking my brains out. This point is when all my years of horseback riding kicked in and my body knew what to do. I tucked my butt under itself, put my heels down as far as I could and pulled those reins in. Did it work? Nope. He fought me for the entire first half of the ride. This was no trail ride, this was an action sport. Once I got used to him being a bully, I was okay. George's mare, "Story", was much gentler, but stubborn. We rode through wild Lupine and mossy boulders and lava rocks up into the highlands where we dismounted for a break. After letting the horses take a rest and have a snack, we mounted up and rode back with the slower group. We just didn't want to trot the whole way back. I wanted to drag it out and enjoy myself, take in the amazing scenery. 

Me and "Blood Smear"


George and "Story"

After our riding adventure, we were transported to the famous Blue Lagoon for some well-earned relaxation. Once there, we had a lot to choose from, such as walking in the Blue Lagoon's spectacular surroundings, bathing in the milky blue-white water, relaxing in a geothermal steam bath or releasing the stress from your shoulders under a Blue Lagoon waterfall. First though, you had to shower and change in to swimsuits. George left his at home (duh) so we purchased one in the gift shop. He is now the proud owner of a royal blue pair of swim trunks with the Blue Lagoon logo on them. What a souvenir. It least it was not a Speedo, small miracles. The showers were mostly open stalls with no doors, so I was showering "El Buffo" with all the other ladies. Fun times. We hung out in the main pool for most of the time we were there. We did get to order drinks, from a sunken bar that you could walk right up to in the water. I ordered a "Krap" -- (I know! Right?) It is a frozen Slurpee-type drink. George had a yogurt smoothie. We also spread grey mud on our faces, necks, backs and shoulders and let it dry to flaky white before rinsing it off. It left your skin feeling silky smooth. We did not take our camera with us because we were afraid we would damage it, so the pictures here are from other websites.

 
Image used from http://bit.ly/1nUE87l

1 comment:

  1. From the title in this one I thought I would be seeing George in a Viking hat riding a horse....

    ReplyDelete